skip to content
Workforce Solutions Rural Capital Area


TWC Adult Education Funding Helps Texans Get High School Equivalency

Brian Hernandez
Mar 17, 2021
Posted by: Brian Hernandez

TWC Adult Education Funding Helps Texans Get High School Equivalency

Our partners at the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) announced that they offering aid to Texans seeking to obtain their Texas Certificate of High School Equivalency (or TXCHSE), improve their marketability in the workforce, and increase their earning potential.

The high school equivalency subsidy program provides free subsidies for Texans at least 21 years of age to take a GED or HiSET exam. While existing adult education and literacy (AEL) programs support adult learners to prepare to take a high school equivalency test, they do not cover the costs of taking a test. This program does that.

Adult education and literacy programs funded by TWC provide English language, math, reading, and writing instruction to help students acquire the skills needed to succeed in the workforce, earn a high school equivalency, or enter college or career training. Recent analysis shows that a significant number of unemployed Texans impacted by the pandemic do not have a high school diploma or its equivalent.

The subsidy program does not require participants to be enrolled in a TWC-affiliated AEL program, though people in these programs may receive priority. TWC works with a variety of providers to help provide adult education and literacy coursework. Interested persons can find providers close to them here:

Llano County, City of Llano Burnet County, City of Burnet Williamson County, City of Georgetown Lee County, city of Giddings Fayette County, city of LaGrange Bastrop County, city of Bastrop Caldwell County, city of Lockhart Hays County, City of San Marcos Blanco County, City of Johnson City

Where We Work

Workforce Solutions Rural Capital Area serves 9 counties around the Austin, TX capital area:

Bastrop County, Hays County, Blanco County, Burnet County, Caldwell County, Fayette County, Lee County, Llano County, Williamson County, and Burnet County - Marble Falls

Find a Center

Sign up for the latest news and updates from WSRCA